Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, a forty day faith journey that ends in the joy of Easter morning. Traditionally, this is a time of inward reflection, repentance, forgiveness, and spiritual preparation for the Passion of the Christ and the Resurrection message that heals and frees. It is a time to give thoughtful consideration to what it really means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.
We welcome all to join us as we journey together through Lent.
Jesus lived in close community with his disciples. They ate, slept, prayed, studied, laughed, and served together as he led his most devoted followers on travels throughout the hills of Judea. At each stop on their journeys they were often greated by throngs of men, women and children eager to learn more about God's unconditional love and how they could help establish God's Kingdom on Earth .
Our life as a congregation is much the same today. We worship, learn, pray, socialize and serve together as a community of believers. In our striving to try to live like Jesus in all aspects of our lives, within and outside the walls of the church, we often fall short, but we are confident in God's forgiving love and mercy.
We hope that you will accept this invitation to join the people of Carrier Mills First United Methodist Church on our 2016 Lenten Journey as we work to grow our faith through the practice of discipleship as Jesus taught us through his own words and actions, the stories he told, and the scripture he shared.
- 2016 Sermon Series: "Preparing for the Harvest: Living the Jesus Way." Each Sunday in February@ 9:30 am. In January, Reverend Stan Irvin began leading us in an exploration of what it truly means to live like Jesus, in accordance with all his teachings. The series continues through the end of February. If you're looking to grow your faith and live in a more intentional and meaningful way in 2016, this is one sermon series you definitely won't want to miss.
- Wednesday, 2.3 - SIS (Sisters in Spirit) Wednesday Night Women's Book Group meets @ 6 pm at the church to begin a six week Bible study, Move On: When Mercy Meets Your Mess by Vicki Courtney. The group is facilitated by Deb Shreffler.
- Thursday, 2.4 - Women's Thursday Morning Book Group meets @ 10:30 am at the church to begin a new selection: Just Like Jesus: Discover a Life Free From Guilt, Fear & Anxiety by Max Lucado. The group is open to all women in the community and newcomers are always welcome.
- Sunday, 2.7 - Souper Bowl Sunday Church Family Meal @ Noon and Canned Soup Collection. Those attending should bring either a pot of soup or sandwiches to share at this church social in Fellowship Hall. Our WOW teens and the children from JAM will collect cans of soup for the church food pantry as people enter the 9:30 am worship service.
- Wednesday, 2.10 - Ash Wednesday Worship & Imposition of Ashes @ 6:30 pm. The Imposition of Ashes. The ashes used in this service are made from burned and crushed palm leaves mixed with olive oil. In keeping with an ancient Christian tradition, the ashes are used to mark our foreheads or the back of one of our hands with a cross. The ashen cross is an outward and visible reminder that we belong to Christ.
- Saturday, 2.13 - Saluki's Basketball Faith & Family Day @ 3 pm at SIU. We hope that the entire congregation comes out to watch the Salukis play Drake. Sign-up sheets can be found on the church bulletin board. Payment needs to be made in advance to event organizer Cindy Murphy. Cindy and Kim Gibbons are working on a place for all to enjoy a meal together on the way back from the game. The sign-up deadline is Sunday, January 31. If you have questions, please contact Cindy Murphy.
- Sunday, 2.21 - Third Sunday Food Pantry Distribution - from 1 to 2 pm. We welcome all residents of the Carrier Mills - Stonefort area who are experiencing financial hardship and hunger to stop by and pick-up a bag of groceries.
- Sunday, 2.21 - Fare Thee Well - Christian Rock/Worship Band in Concert in the Sanctuary @ 6 pm. This event is open to the community. A light supper will be served @ 5 pm. There will be a guest speaker @ 6:45 pm and the worship gathering will close @ 7:30 pm.
Fare Thee Well is a Paducah, Kentucy based Christian Rock/Worship band that has been performing together since 2006. They play at church events, festivals and fundraisers. The band members state that, "We are people with a heart for worship and a love of connecting others to Jesus. Everything we do stems from a commitment to a genuine encounter with a loving Christ. We serve God's kingdom most fully through our music and strive to share it with His community, whether traveling or at our home church." Members of the band are: Hilary (Vocals/Accoustic Guitar), Asa (Vocals/Bass), Austin (Guitar), and Luke (Drums/Vocals).
- Sunday, 2.28 - Christian Education Nursery Shower @ 10:45 am. God has called our congregation to an audacious new goal - having the best and largest Christian Education program in Saline County. This shower is being held so all members in the congregation have the opportunity to ensure that the new Nursery Department will be fully equipped to handle the faith formation, safety and developmental needs of our littlest disciples. Click the link for a printable shopping list of items and bring them to the shower. If you would rather make a financial donation to the Nursery Department, your contribution will be joyfully received and put to good use.