Advent & Christmas at CMFUMC - A season of joy and sharing!
In our modern times, the low key, watchful waiting season of Advent seems to get lost in the hustle and bustle of the commercial run-up to Christmas. Instead of arriving at the manger with hearts bursting with joy, peace and love, we often find ourselves physically exhausted and emotionally empty as we slide into a pew for Christmas worship.
Let this year be different. We invite you to prepare your hearts to receive, anew, the great gift of God’s love this Christmas by taking the time to experience the quiet anticipation of Advent offered through our worship services, community outreach projects and seasonal study. When you stand before the manger this year, in the company of astonished shepherds, humbled wisemen, singing angels, and your friends and family, we want you to fully and deeply share in the awe filled celebration of the miraculous of the Messiah, our Lord and Savior, the Christ Child, Baby Jesus. THIS is what Christmas is all about.
- Wednesday, 11.18 - The four session 2015 Advent Study, Why This Jubilee?, begins from 6:30 - 7:30 pm. Reverend Stan Irvin will facilitate the study. Let the beautiful carols at the heart of this study lead us to the manger in Bethlehem to receive, anew, the miraculous gift of God's great love this Christmas. The final three sessions will be held December 2, 9 and 16. This study is open to the community. Books can be purchased from a variety of online retailers including Amazon and the Upper Room.
- Sunday, 11.22 - The Annual Angel Tree Collection Begins. Due to deteriorating economic circumstances in our area, the number of children and teens in the Carrier Mills - Stonefort school system who face the prospect of a bleak Christmas continues to grow. You can help give a child a happy Christmas by taking an informational tag with a child or teen's first name from the tree in Fellowship Hall. Bring your wrapped gifts back to the church by Saturday, December 12 so that everything can be organized prior to distribution in time for Christmas.
- First Sunday of Advent, 11.29 @ 9:30 am - The 2015 Advent Sermon Series, Bethlehem: The First Christmas Gift begins with a look at what the shepherds felt, saw and experienced as they witnessed the fulfillment of scripture in the birth of a baby boy in a lowly manger.
- Wednesday, 12.2 - The 2015 Advent study, Why This Jubilee?, resumes @ 6:30 pm.
- Second Sunday of Advent, 12.6 @ 9:30 am - The 2015 Advent Sermon Series, Bethlehem: The First Christmas Gift continues as we explore the circumstances that led the wisemen to bow in worship before the baby boy and the impace this experience had on their lives.
- Wednesday, 12.9 - The 2015 Advent study, Why This Jubilee?, continues from 6:30 - 7:30 pm.
- Third Sunday of Advent, 12.13 @ 9:30 am - The 2015 Advent Sermon Series, Bethlehem: The First Christmas Gift continues. Together we'll examine the mix of contradictory feelings Mary and Joseph that plagued them individually and as a couple prior to the birth of their first son.
- Sunday, 12.13 - Angel Tree Gifts Pick-Up from 5:30 - 6:30 pm. Parents/Guardians of the Angel Tree recipients will come to Fellowship Hall between 5:30 and 6:30 pm to pick-up wrapped Christmas presents for their children.
- Wednesday, 12.16 - The 2015 Advent study, Why This Jubilee?, concludes from 6:30 - 7:30 pm.
- Saturday, 12.19 - FREE Community Christmas Breakfast from 9 - 11 am. Tasty food. The sounds of happy children laughing. Great conversation with new friends and old. Add a dash of holiday magic, and what do you get? The perfect recipe for a wonderful Community Christmas Breakfast. This FREE event is open to all from the Carrier Mills – Stonefort area. Rumor has it that Santa will pay a visit. Our jolly friend in red, along with our friends from Disney’s Frozen, Elsa and Anna, will be available for photos with the kids, so be sure to bring your camera. And to top it all off, Olaf will sing and perform during the meal. We look forward to sharing all the joy, fun and a few surprises with YOU!
- Fourth Sunday of Advent, 12.20 @ 9:30 am - And the Angels Sang, a special Christmas worship service featuring the choir and special holiday music. The 2015 Advent Sermon Series, Bethlehem: The First Christmas Gift wraps-up with a look at the miraculous birth of the Christ Child and what it means for all humankind.
- Sunday, 12.20 @ 6:30 pm - 2015 Community Christmas Worship @ Carrier Mills First Church of God. Join the congregations from Carrier Mills First Church of God, Carrier Mills First Baptist Church, and Carrier Mills First United Methodist Church for beautiful holiday music, an inspiring message, and uplifting prayers. Refreshments will be served afterwards. All desiring to take part in a special community outreach project, Christmas Presence, will will deliver Christmas goodie bags to workers @ five locations thoughout Saline County. We’ll also
deliver donations to the 4C’s Homeless Shelter in Harrisburg.
- Thursday, 12.24 - Candlelight Communion from 5:30 - 7:30 pm. Share this intimate celebration of the Christ Child's birth with close family and friends. It's the perfect way to begin your Christmas.